Computer Surge Protector – Top 5 Models You Should Consider
Last Updated on November 8, 2020 by Marc Edwards
Investing in a computer surge protector for your computing devices like laptop, personal computer (PC) is a necessary evil these days.
Gone are the days (when I was still a kid) 🙂 when there was hardly any need for surge protection for home electrical appliances.
Those old bulky electrical counterparts of the past are less susceptible to voltage spikes, thanks to bigger and more robust built-in electrical components.
Modern-day electrical devices like computers and smaller appliances are constantly being made smaller and more sophisticated. This inevitably increases their vulnerability to unforeseen spikes in electrical currents.
Now that you understand why surge protection is needed, you might be asking what is a good surge protector for computers.
With the humongous amount of surge protection brands and models in the market, it is increasingly difficult to get the right one that suit your need.
Lucky for you, our team has done the heavy lifting for you. 🙂 We have come out with a table that showcases the best surge protector for pc. But if you are in a hurry, we have highlighted the best pc surge protector you can get below.
Its energy and space-saving design is really a huge plus for us, not to mention the safety door that will prevent little ones from poking their small fingers in. Such thoughtful design is what makes a good product great. 🙂
Are you a heavy user of USB devices? If so, you will definitely adore the 6 USB smart charging ports. If you are looking for a computer surge protector to charge up the many computing devices and peripherals of yours at home or in the office, this BESTEK surge protector should be your top consideration.
Computer Surge Protector Comparison Table
Below is a comparison table showcasing 5 of the best surge protector for computer in terms of value for money, reliability and features.
12 3996 6 ft 2 8 1500 6 ft 6 6 1080 6 ft 2 12 2390 6 ft 2 8 525 6 ft 5
Top 10 Editorial Picks
No. of Outlets
Power Cord Length
No of USB Ports
Belkin BV112050-06 Surge Protector Read Review
BESTEK Power Strip Tower Read Review
Accell Powramid USB-C Surge Protector Read Review
Huntkey 12 Outlets Surge Protector Read Review
NTONPOWER Surge Protector Tower Read Review
1Belkin BV112050-06 Review
You can now juice up your electronic gadgets and work on your computer while getting protected from nasty power surges.
With 6 additional blockspace outlets, plugging in older computer equipment (e.g. old printers) that comes with brick-size plug will no longer take up additional outlet space.
Problem with space constraint on your floor or desk? No worries, BV112050-06 comes with mounting holes for you to securely mount it onto your wall space.
In addition to its clean and sleek exterior, this computer surge protector from Belkin also comes with lifetime warranty plus a worry-free $250,000 Connected Equipment Warranty.
Although Belkin BV112050-06 does not have smart IC technology for its 2 USB charging ports but at its current price point, it is still a very good bang for your buck given all its awesome features and well thought-out design.
- Whopping 3996 Joule Energy Rating
- Recessed Power Switch prevents accidental shutdowns
- Surge Protection and Improper Grounding Indicators
- 6 Blockspace outlets to accommodate BIG plugs
- Advanced power filtration
- Clean and Sleek exterior design
- Lifetime plus $250,000 Connected Equipment Warranty
- USB ports do not come with Smart IC Technology
- 6 feet power cord could be longer
Belkin 12-Outlet USB Power Strip Surge Protector w/Flat Plug, 6ft Cord
- 12 outlet surge protector power strip with flat plug, 6 feet/1.8M cord
- Two USB ports (2.1A combined) for charging smartphones, tablets, and more
- Safeguards computers, appliances, home theater and office equipment from potentially damaging power surges
2BESTEK Power Strip Tower Review
At first glance, the futuristic design of this Bestek surge protection tower unit impressed us immediately.
And with its dual independent power switch design for energy saving purpose and 8 wide-space AC outlets, we knew it has to be our editorial pick for best PC surge protector.
And that means when a humongous power spike comes about, this 8 outlet Bestek computer surge protector will detect the overpowering current and cut the power to all 8 AC outlets including the USB ports.
This will effectively prevent the harmful surge from reaching your connected devices like laptop, PC computers and connected peripherals.
Are you impressed yet? 🙂
And if that is not enough to impress you, do know that it comes with 6 smart USB charging ports with intelligent device recognition feature.
This feature help provide the safe amount of maximum charging speed for the plugged in device.
In addition to that, all its eight AC outlets come with a peace-of-mind safety door to help prevent little kiddies at home from poking their little fingers in.
And if 6 foot long power cord is not long enough for you, do know that there is a 12 feet long model available.
And if wireless charging is your kind of thing, you will be glad to know that Bestek also comes with a wireless charger model with similar features and specs.
If you are curious about its resistant to heat, you will be pleased to know it has a high temperature resistant of up to 750°C.
This Bestek surge protection tower comes with 6 feet long power cord plus a 18 months warranty.
When it comes to choose the best surge protector for computer, you have get one that ensure the safety of your computer and its data when a power spike happens.
A powerful voltage spike from a nearby lightning bolt could potentially fried your computer and hard disk on your computer could also be damaged.
Given its power overload protection, your laptop and computer devices will be in safe hands when a nasty spike comes around.
- Built-in Safety doors for all AC outlets
- 2 Independent Power Switches for energy saving purpose
- 6 smart USB Charging ports with intelligent device recognition function
- Smart, elegant and futuristic design
- Short circuit and power overload protection
- FCC and ETL certified and conforming to RoHS standard
- Heat resistant of up to 750°C
- 18 month warranty
- 6 feet power cord could be longer
BESTEK Power Strip Tower 8-Outlet and 6 Smart USB Charging Ports 1500 Joules Surge Protector
8-Outlet Surge Protector(1500J) USB Power Strip with 6-foot heavy-duty power cable(14AWG),protecting your router, laptops, printers, modems, speakers and other valuable appliances against surges and spikesCheck Price
3Accell Powramid Computer Surge Protector for Office
If you are looking for a durable and reliable surge protector for office that must come with both USB-A and USB-C ports, you are in luck.
This Accell Powramid surge protector is also perfect for meeting room, with enough AC outlets for hosting small group work meetings and web conferences.
A wireless charging model is available if you require wireless charging function.
Its 40 dB filtration power feature helps isolate your computer from power generated noise, resulting in a more superior sound and image quality when in use with audio/visual equipment.
This computer surge protector also features X3 MOV Technology which could help protect connected equipment from hazardous surges and power spikes. It provides longer protection lifespan than that of a regular MOV.
This surge protector from Accell comes with a full 5 year connected equipment and $100k limited warranty.
- 6 wide-space AC outlets
- Skid and scratch-resistant base, perfect for meeting room use
- Availability of both USB-A and USB-C charging outlets
- 6 foot long heavy duty power cord
- Advanced X3 MOV technology
- Noise Reduction feature for superior audio/visual quality
- 5 year connected equipment and $100k limited warranty
- 1080 joules may get depleted fast when powerful spikes come about
Accell Powramid USB-C Surge Protector – USB-C & USB-A Charging Ports (3.4A)
- Plug into all 6 outlets, even with bulky adapters & Transformers
- Protect your devices with surge-protected USB-C and USB-A charging ports (USB output: 3. 4a)
- Product safety tested and Certified by UL
- 1080 Joules of surge protection, 6-foot heavy duty power cord
- Durability and performance Backed by Accell 5-year connected equipment $100, 000 Limited
4Huntkey 12 Outlets USB C Surge Protector Review
One look and you may immediately notice similarities between this Huntkey surge protector and the Belkin BV112050-06 we reviewed earlier on.
Well, do not judge a “surge protector” by its cover. 🙂
Besides having 7 regular AC outlets and 5 wide-spaced AC outlets, do note that this Huntkey surge protection device comes with overcharging, overheating and short-circuit protection which are essential features for computer users.
Unlike Belkin BV112050-06, its housing is made of flame retardant materials and is able to withstand temperature of up to 1,382℉(750℃).
While it is in the same price range as Belkin BV112050-06, it is definitely a more worthy buy in my opinion.
Don’t you agree? 🙂
- 7 Regular AC Outlets and 5 Blockspace AC Outlets
- 1 USB Type C Fast Charging Port and 1 regular USB port
- Overload, Overheating and Short-circuit Protection features
- 6 Feet Heavy Duty UL listed Extension Cord
- 2390 joules energy rating
- 2 keyhole mounting slots
- Made of flame retardant materials
- 36 months warranty
- ETL Listed & FCC certified
- the 6 feet power cord could be longer
Huntkey USB C Power Strip with 12 Outlets Surge Protector
- USB C Outlets: 1 USB-C port, 1 USB-A port, and 12 AC outlets power up to 14 devices from a single wall outlet.
- Room for All: 12 outlet maximum rated power is 1875W/125V/15A. It designs extra space outlets for larger plugs.
- High-Speed Charging: 2 USB ports total 30W. USB-A delivers 12W (5V 2.4A).18W PD USB-C port can charge up to 2.5X faster than normal.
- 2390J Surge Protector: Safeguards and overload switch can protect your devices against overcurrent, overcharging, overheating, and short-circuit.
5NTONPOWER Surge Protector Tower Review
Sick of using power strip surge protector? This Surge Protector Tower from NTONPOWER will add a whole new look to your study/working environment.
Devices that require to be powered on 7 x 24 (Internet modem, security camera etc) can be plugged into one column and the rest can be plugged into another.
End of the day, you are just one switch button away from powering off all the devices (that need NOT be on 7 x 24) to avoid the dreadful phantom energy load.
NTONPOWER Surge Protector Tower comes with a total of 8 AC outlets. These outlets should be more than enough to juice up all your computing devices like laptop/PC computers and electrical peripherals like printers, modems, fax machine, desk lamp and so on.
While this NTONPOWER computer surge protector does not come with a good amount of joules, it compensated that with a built-in 15-amp circuit breaker which will protect against power overload. This feature will prevent harmful effects of power spikes from reaching all the connected equipment.
This surge suppression tower with 6 feet power cord is made with fireproof ABS+PC material that is capable of withstanding temperature of up to 1382℉.
This NTONPOWER Surge Protector Tower has a 18 months warranty to facilitate any refund or replacement of faulty parts. In addition to that, they also provide a peace-of-mind $300,000 liability insurance for connected devices and property damage if incident occurs.
- Individual column power switch for convenient and energy saving purposes
- Space-saving design
- Non- Slip Silicone Mat at the bottom
- Low Profile Flat Plug – great for tight spaces
- Built-in 15 amp circuit breaker
- 8 AC outlets spanned across 2 columns
- 5 fast charging USB ports that come with smart IC auto-adjust charging rate
- Fireproof ABS+PC material housing
- 18 months refund and replacement warranty and more
- 6 ft power cord may not be long enough for far-flung AC power source
NTONPOWER Surge Protector Flat Plug, 8 Outlets 5 USB Desktop Charging Station
- MULTI OUTLET POWER STRIP TOWER WITH USB – This power strip tower with usb equipped up to 8 AC outlets (1875W-125V Max,3750W-250V Max) and 5 fast charging usb port (Maximum 2.4 A output per port), smart IC auto-adjust charging rate, allow you to charge 3 iPads and 2 iPhones at the same time. Meet all your charging needs for home and office.
- UNIQUE SPACE SAVING DESIGN – Unlike regular power strip, the creative vertical tower design provides sufficient space for each plug, providing enough space between each outlet that saves space and declutter your workspace and home.
- INDEPENDENT SWITCH CONTROL – The power charging station has independent switches each side and can be controlled separately. It does not need to plug and unplug the devices or appliances frequently, and it will not affect the normal operation of other devices.
Tips on Choosing the Best Computer Surge protector
Price vs Features
Never pay too high a price tag for features that are common place. Avoid paying a premium for brands that do not really offer too many surge protection features you will need.
Needs and Requirements
Be clear about what you need in terms of features and specifications. For example, if you a frequent traveler who has a need for charging up your laptop on the go, then a light-weight and portable travel surge protector could be more suitable for you.
If you need a computer surge protector at home, our recommendation is to go for a tower design type which can help save you precious real estate on your desk.
You will want a more robust computer surge protector for your computing devices if you happen to stay in a lightning prone area. You will want to get one that come with automatic circuit-breaker or one with high amount of joule energy rating.
Choosing the best computer surge protector that suits your requirements need not be challenging at all. We hope this article has been useful in helping you make a better purchasing decision.
You should definitely consider surge protection for the whole house if you are thinking of having surge protection for most of your home appliances and electronics gadgets.