7 of the Best Ethernet Surge Protectors Reviewed for 2021
Last Updated on January 21, 2021 by Marc Edwards
Just like Internet access, having Ethernet surge protectors for our home is a necessary evil these days.
Distant lightnings may strike and send forth electrical surges along the power line. These electrical spikes are usually powerful enough to cause irreparable damage to not only your connected electronics but Internet routers and modems too.
Unbeknown to some people, network equipment can get fried and damaged during strong and damaging electrical current spikes. To safeguard your network equipment from getting ‘fried’ (plus unnecessary outages) by power surges, having a dedicated Ethernet surge protection device is no longer a want but a NEED!
If your current surge protector does not already come with such capability, it is highly recommended to get one that does.
My team scoured the Internet to locate some of the best dedicated Ethernet surge protectors and have written a comprehensive review for each of them below.
If you are in a hurry, you may want to check the editorial recommendation box below.
If you are looking for value for money quality and great reviews, you should just get WatchfulEyE WTH-SG/RJ45-S. It is our best editorial pick among the other Ethernet surge protectors based purely on the many great reviews and Plug-and-Play (PnP) simplicity – no complicated setup needed. 😉
Not only is it compatible with up to 1000M Base-T Etherent systems, it offers a 2-steps surge protection mode that releases and reduce sudden intrusion of power surges in addition to providing a TVS Line to Line surge protection.
This WatchfulEyE Ethernet surge protector is super lightweight (5 grams) and is most suitable for direct in-Line plug in to all your network communication devices like Internet modem, routers and switches at home or in the office.
Few Features to Look for When Buying Ethernet Surge Protectors
Easy to Setup – Be sure to get one that is simple to setup if you are not technically-savvy or are familiar with setting up network devices. Most of the RJ45 surge protectors we reviewed are easy to setup.
Supports 1000M (Gigabit) Base-T Ethernet Networks – Most network communication devices like Internet and wireless routers are running at Gigabit speed these day. Be sure to get one that is compatible with 1000 Base-T networks.
Strong Housing – If you are going for a outdoor Ethernet surge protector, it is highly recommended to get one with robust casing so as to prevent attacks from insects or house pets. 🙂
Lightweight – If you need to travel with it on a frequent basis, be sure to get one that is light and easy to bring around.
Mountable – Sometimes it may make sense to mount the network surge protector if you are short of physical space or to place it near to network devices that are already mounted on the wall.
Comparison Table of Ethernet Surge Protectors
Best 8 Editorial Picks
Comes with Grounding Wire
|WatchfulEyE Ethernet PoE Surge Protector|
3.98 x 1.97 x 1.3 inches
|Qooltek ST-NET Ethernet Surge Protector|
0.98 x 0.98 x 2.76 inches
|APC PNET1GB Surge Protector|
1.34 x 1.34 x 1.34 inches
|RiteAV - Outdoor Ethernet Surge Protector|
6.4 x 3.8 x 0.5 inches
|Tupavco TP302 Ethernet Surge Protector|
3.4 x 1.4 x 2.3 inches
|Tripp Lite DTEL2 in-Line Surge Protector|
6 x 3 x 2 inches
|Ubiquiti ETH-SP-G2 Surge Suppressor|
3.58 x 2.4 x 1.28 inches
1WatchfulEyE Ethernet PoE Surge Protector
These network surge protective devices may be what you need to avoid detrimental electrical spikes or over-voltage surges that could cause damages to your network/data communication devices like Internet and wireless routers, network switches – not to mention laptops or computers which are connected to those network equipment.
With built-in protective elements like GDT (Gas Discharge Tube) and TVS (Transient Voltage Suppression), the strength of electrical surges will be greatly minimized with these two-step surge protection mode.
These WTH-SG/RJ45-S devices from WatchfulEye are extremely easy to setup within your home and office network.
Some surge protectors do come with Ethernet ports that perform the similar tasks but they are usually bulky and can become very expensive if you happen to have many network communication devices at home or in the office.
These RJ45 surge protectors from WatchfulEye are compatible with 10/100/1000M Base-T Ethernet systems and work well with Cat6 network cables.
Bottom line: if you prefer hassle-free, easy to setup (Direct in Line Plug-in) Ethernet surge protection devices for your home or office network, you would not go wrong with WTH-SG/RJ45-S from WatchfulEye.
- Compatible with 10/100/1000M Base-T Ethernet network
- Easily to setup Direct in Line Plug-in
- GDT/TVS (Two Step Protective Elements)
- Affordable and Light-weight (5 gram)
- 1-2,3-6,4-5,7-8 Pair Protection
- Not suitable for outdoor usage
WatchfulEyE WTH-SG/RJ45-S x2pcs Direct in Line Plug-in Ethernet Surge Protector
- Ethernet Surge Protection
- Standards compliance: IEC 61000-4-5
- Data Rate: 100/1000Mbps
- Pairs Protected: 1-2,3-6,4-5,7-8
2Qooltek ST-NET Ethernet Surge Protector
If you are unfamiliar with connections between network equipment and devices , there is an easy-to-understand network diagram from Qooltek on the left.
Besides safeguarding sensitive electronic equipment from power surges and spikes, Qooltek ST-RJ45 also comes built with material that offers high insulation resistance and durability seems obvious with its cast aluminum casing.
If you are like me who likes uncomplicated setup, this Ethernet surge protector from Qooltek which is also RoHS compliant should be in your to-buy list.
With a surge response time of about 1 nanosecond, there is no much fault we can find with this network surge protection device which is highly affordable.
- Surge response time of 1 nanosecond
- Easy setup via Female to Female Network interface
- 7.5 inch ground wire for direct grounding system
- High insulation resistance
- Cast aluminum construction
- RoHS compliant
- Not suitable for outdoor usage
- Only Female to Female connection type
Qooltek ST-NET Ethernet Surge Protector for 10/100/1000 Base-T PoE
- Imax=10KA, Isn=5KA; 7.5 inch green ground wire
- NM Surge Response Time (ns): 1 ns
- Interface Connection Type: RJ45 Female to Female
- Earthing Method: Direct Grounding System by Connecting Line
- Data Line Protection: RJ45 10/100/1000 Base-T Ethernet
3APC PNET1GB Ethernet Surge Protector
The MOVs and Thermal fuse components offer instantaneous reaction to damaging surges caused by lightning strikes, transient spikes and wiring faults and so on. In the event that these components are damaged due to damaging power surges, Fail Safe Mode would kick in and all excess electrical current would NOT be able to reach your network equipment. As a result, your precious data and network communication equipment and devices would be safe from getting catastrophic damages.
This lightweight RJ45 surge protector is only 50g and provides 1 nanosecond response to unexpected power spikes.
APC ProtectNet PNET1GB is RoHS compliant and offers 10 years repair or replacement as standard warranty.
APC is renowned for manufacture high quality surge protection and UPS system hence if you need an affordable Ethernet surge protection device capable of protecting your sensitive electronic equipment, PNET1GB is highly recommended.
- Compatible with Power over Ethernet (PoE) and 10/100/1000 Base-T networks
- Fail Safe Mode
- Lightning and Surge Protection
- Catastrophic Event Protection
- 12 inches long ground wire
- RoSH compliant
- 10 Years Repair or Replacement waranty
- Grounding the green wire to the ground can be troublesome for some people
- Replacement is needed whenever Fail Safe Mode kicks in (small price to pay for protecting your network equipment)
APC Surge Protector for Ethernet Data Port ProtectNet (PNET1GB)
- RJ45 10/100/1000 Base-T Ethernet protection
- Compatible with Power over Ethernet (PoE) and 10/100/1000 Base-T networks
- Fail Safe Mode: Once the circuit of an APC SurgeArrest has been compromised by a power event, the unit disconnects equipment from the power supply ensuring that no damaging surges reach your equipment
- SurgeArrest components such as MOVs and Thermal fuse ensure instantaneous reaction to lightning strikes and wiring faults. If the surge components are damaged due to power spike or over voltage, excess power cannot reach your equipment.
4RiteAV – Outdoor Ethernet Surge Protector
This PoE outdoor RJ45 surge protector weighs only 45 grams and with it solid external housing, it is able to protect against damages caused by insects or any exterior damages.
If you are someone safety conscious, you will be happy to know that this RitaAV surge protector comes with spark gap tubes that lower explosion risk and overheating during hostile electrical surges.
You do not need to get this if you do not have any network communication device installed outdoor. By the way, do not get this until you read our review on Tupavco TP303 (another outdoor Ethernet surge protection device) below. 🙂
- Outdoor PoE/network surge protection
- Protects outdoor electrical equipment
- Solid casing prevents damages from insects and exterior damages
- Spark gap tubes lowers explosion and overheating risks
- Easy, straight-forward Female to female connection interface
- Only Female to Female (works either way) connection type
- Lack of documentation
RiteAV – Outdoor Ethernet POE+ / RJ-45 Surge Protector (Shielded) for Thunder & Lightning Protection (Gigabyte)
- Supported Standards: 10/100/1000 BaseT
- Connectors: RJ-45 Female to Female , just plug cable in and ground device
- Note: Must be wired to ground near the protected device
- A must have if you are using outdoor rated cable
- POE+ Outdoor Ethernet Surge Protector
5Tupavco TP302 Ethernet Surge Protector
I like the fact that this network surge protector provides multi-directional surge protection which means it does not matter which side the network equipment are connected to. When a power surge comes along, it will protect the opposite end of the connection interface.
If you have a lot of network communication devices or workstations at home or in the office, it is highly recommended to get one Ethernet surge protective device for each network nodes in the network.
Having physical space constraint is no longer an excuse for not getting this Tupavco surge protector as it can be easily mounted via the mounting flange.
All in all, I have to say this Ethernet surge protector deserves our editorial recommendation. Get this if you are not technically-savvy and just want a simple to setup network surge protection device.
- Gigabit per second data transfer rate
- Gas Discharge Tubes for Full Protection GDT [on all 4 pairs (8 wires)]
- Solid Aluminum Case shields exterior damages
- Mounting Flanges provide multiple mounting options
- Line-Line, Line-Ground Protection
- Bidirectional Clamping
- Arrest EMF induced surges
- USB ports do not come with Smart IC Technology
- 6 feet power cord could be longer
Ethernet Surge Protector PoE+ Gigabit – Gas Discharge Tube for Full Protection – Mounting Flange – RJ45 Lightning Suppressor
- Ethernet Surge Protector for Gigabit GbE PoE/High PoE+ (HPoE) 1000 Mbps LAN Ethernet Network
- Gas Discharge Tubes for Full Protection GDT – Lightning Suppressor RJ45 Cable Protection CAT6/CAT5
- Aluminum Case,Ground Wire 12AWG,Line-Line Line-Ground Protection,Bidirectional Clamping,5KA 8/20μs
- Thunder Arrestor Protects Computer Networking Equipment Devices like Router,Modem,Camera,Switch etc
- Mounting Flanges provide option for screw mount to the Wall, Electric Panel or Network Rack Cabinet
6Tripp Lite DTEL2 in-Line Ethernet Surge Protector
That means if you can use it for both RJ45 (network) or RJ11 (phone) communication devices at home or in the office.
Just like Tupavco TP302 above, Tripp Lite DTEL2, too, offers comprehensive protection for electrostatic discharge, lightning and faulty wiring.
Bottom-line, if you are an affordable Ethernet surge protector from a trusted brand to safeguard your phone and network equipment (e.g. Internet routers and modem), this should be an easy buying decision for you.
- Dual protection for both phone and network equipment
- Additional protection against electrostatic discharge, lightning and faulty wiring
- Comes with RJ11 patch cable
- Lifetime Limited Warranty
- Great price from a trusted industrial brand
- Not for outdoor usage
- No Diagnostic LED
Tripp Lite in-Line Surge Protector Power Strip for Network and Phone Lines
- POWERFUL NETWORK AND PHONE LINES: Surge suppressor is designed to protect data and communications equipment against AC transients caused by lightning, electrostatic discharge and ground surges that can enter equipment from the signal lines or chassis ground.
- TELEPHONE/ETHERNET LINE SURGE PROTECTION: The DTEL2 features RJ45/RJ11 plugs for modems, telephone lines and answering or fax machines.
- DATALINE SURGE PROTECTION: It protects up to 2 network or phone lines, modems, fax machines and answering machines against damage from lightning, electrostatic discharge and ground surges. Comes with RJ11 telephone patch cable.
- COMPREHENSIVE PROTECTION: Protects against the effects of electrostatic discharge, faulty wiring and lightning
- LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY: This In-Line Surge Protector offers a Lifetime Limited Warranty.
7Ubiquiti ETH-SP-G2 Surge Suppressor
This Ubiquiti RJ45 surge protector is also capable of protecting your network devices against ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) as well as voltage surges and transients. This Ethernet surge suppressor will prove to be the worthy middleman between your Network and PoE equipment and end-user network nodes that use RJ45 connections. E.g. PC workstations and laptops
This 80 gram network surge protection device comes with both female connectors within the box which helps connect and safeguard both side of the network should any electrical surges comes along.
Get this if you do not have high expectations and is happy with standard protection of all your network equipment.
- Protect against ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) and power surges
- Female to Female connectors
- Cost-effective option
- Play and play installation (Easy setup)
- Protects all Outdoor Network/PoE equipment
- Sleek looking white exterior housing
- Lightweight at 80 grams
- Lack of wire for grounding
- casing may not be robust enough for rough handlings
Ubiquiti ETH-SP-G2 Surge Suppressor/Protector
- RJ45 10/100/1000 Ethernet Data line Protection
- (2) RJ45 Female Connectors Interface Connections
- Safeguards against power surges and Electrostatic Discharge